In the 1980s the thriving shoe-producing center of Pirmasens was badly hit by the demise of the shoe industry there. Empty factories, some of which are important industrial monuments, and their subsequent dilapidation were the end result. The magnificent main building of the former Neuffer shoe factory, which even today in architectural terms dominates the silhouette of Pirmasens, was built in 1894.
The preservation of the original building fabric and the inclusion of functional fittings for modern offices dominate the concept; fair-faced masonry featuring the sandstone typical of the region and a light-gray coating on the floors, walls and ceilings runs through the building like a red thread.
Wall-to-ceiling astragal windows produce a special atmosphere for the creative minds working in product development. Depending on the particular function and requirements in question, flexible, monochrome furniture is carefully integrated in the historic fabric.
An open area for communication and the two-storey “Big Show“ are used as cafeteria, exhibition area, meeting room and product presentation area. The bright red counter in Reception, cubic oak furniture in the cafeteria and a fitted “sky” above the “Big Show” and gallery all provide exquisite coloring.
The combination of modern entrepreneurial culture and a successful reminiscence of an old industrial monument breathe new life into the former bel etage.
Client: Bernd Hummel GmbH
Task: Administration department, showroom, exhibition area, meeting rooms, lounge area
Area: 2.150 m2
Date of Completion: 2005
Landau + Kindelbacher Architects Interior Designers