The palace in Lenbachplatz is part of a protected historical ensemble from the 19th century and is considered to be the “first representative neo-baroque building in Munich” and thus an archetype for Munich office buildings. It was founded in 1864 as a business for high-quality textiles by Lehmann Bernhein, who then, in 1888/89, commissioned Friedrich von Thiersch with the erection of the building, whereby the façade comes from Martin Dülfer, Thiersch’s pupil at the time.
The prestigious building stands outside the old inner city, which was characterised by its mediaeval layout, and integrated a small coffee-house with beer-garden, known as the English Café. Throughout the years, the palace was extended by various additions and modifications, most recently in 1909/10, when the office building was augmented by the new rear building in Ottostrasse. The courtyard between the original office building and the extension was designed according to Bernheimer’s wishes in Italian Renaissance style at the beginning of the 20thcentury along the lines of the Bargello in Florence. Today, on the Lenbachplatz side of the building, the ground floor of the building known as the Lenbachplatz contains shops, and the upper floors contain offices.
From Thierschstrasse (named after Friedrich von Thiersch) to a Thiersch building: as of 1 July 2022, what used to be the gastronomy area on the Ottostrasse side will be the new office of Landau + Kindelbacher Architekten – Innenarchitekten. The working area will have about 1300 square meters and will be an open-plan office with diverse communication and retreat areas on the ground floor as well as meeting areas. All this is supplemented by a generously sized working cafe and a conference centre.
6 weeks ago
Foyer/Reception, Conference areas, Workplaces/Communication zones
Client: Landau + Kindelbacher
Date of Completion: 2022
Landau + Kindelbacher Architects Interior Designers